CURRENT SANITATION GUIDELINES
Residential garbage is collected curbside on Monday through Thursday each week. Garbage containers (trash cans) must be watertight with tight fitting lids or tops, have at least two handles, hold not less than 15 gallons or more than 48 gallons, and not be fastened in such a manner that the containers may not be easily emptied. Drums or barrels cannot be used as garbage containers. Garbage shall be placed in plastic bags, and bags are required in all containers. No garbage can in excess of 48 gallons capacity or weighing over 40 pounds will be serviced. Volume limits per residential customer are two (2) 48-gallon trash containers weighing 40 pounds of less or five (5) trash bags. Excessive trash pickup at a residence can be charged an additional pickup fee at the discretion of the Sanitation Department.
Extra pickup of large items not picked up with regular garbage (appliances, furniture, wood, metal, and so forth) may be picked up for an additional fee. Extra pickups are only done on Friday mornings. Requests for extra pickups must be called in to the Sanitation Department, and items must be placed curbside prior to 6:00 a.m.
Residential garbage collection rates are set by city ordinance, and are subject to change. Please contact the Sanitation department for more information.
NEW SANITATION GUIDELINES (EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 9, 2020)
As announced at the October 12, 2020, Council meeting, the City of Cullman will soon be changing the way it services residential garbage. Beginning November 9, 2020, all residents and commercial hand stops will be serviced using our new automated side loader trucks with mechanical arms.
Each customer will receive one (1) 96-gallon cart. The City-selected contractor will begin delivering the carts to customers on October 19, 2020. The contractor’s process for this will be to start delivering along Monday’s route first. Then they will move to Tuesday’s route, Wednesday’s route, and Thursday’s route in order to complete the delivery process as the routes are to be run.
Every household will receive one cart at the monthly rate of $16.00 (the exact same rate that’s being paid for Sanitation services now). If an additional cart is needed, customers can call the Sanitation office to request an additional cart for an additional charge of $8.00 per month per cart. (Charges listed are current as of the date of this article.)
Commercial hand stop customers will also initially receive one (1) 96-gallon cart at the rate of $60.00 per month. If needed, commercial hand stop customers can request one (1) additional 96-gallon cart for no additional charge. (Charges listed are current as of the date of the date of this article.)
NEW SERVICE GUIDELINES
- Place carts no further than three (3) feet off the roadway.
- Carts should be placed so that they OPEN TOWARD THE ROADWAY.
- Cart should be placed on the opposite linear/horizontal side of your mailbox, if possible. (For example, if you stand facing your driveway and your mailbox is on the left-hand side, then your cart will need to be on the right-hand side of your driveway.)
- Place the cart at least four (4) feet from poles, fire hydrants, or any other obstacles and at least ten (10) feet away from vehicles.
- Please do not place cart on the other side of a ditch as the automated arm will not reach that far.
- All garbage must be inside the City of Cullman Sanitation garbage cart, and all garbage must be bagged. Any garbage not placed in a City of Cullman Sanitation garbage cart WILL NOT BE COLLECTED. Old trash cans may not be used as they are not designed to withstand the force of the mechanical gripper on the truck.
- DO NOT put yard debris, rocks, dirt, building and construction debris, hot or flammable items, hazardous materials, or chemicals in your cart. (The City of Cullman offers a large item pickup for an additional fee. Please call Sanitation to schedule this service.)
- Please have your cart out by 5:00 a.m. on the day of service. Garbage not out by this time will not be picked up until the following week.
- If you are moving, please call Sanitation to pick up the cart. If the cart is missing, an additional $60.00 fee will be added to your final bill for the cost of the container.
- Every cart has a serial number assigned to the address to which it is delivered. It is a criminal offense to remove a City of Cullman cart without permission from the City of Cullman Sanitation Department.
- Service days WILL NOT CHANGE. If you are unsure what day your garbage is picked up, refer to the Sanitation Quadrants map or contact the Sanitation Department.
It is the intent of the City of Cullman to implement the automated cart system to provide a safer work environment for our employees as well as to provide an environmentally safer pickup for household garbage. This system has been proven environmentally safe for employees and households.
We appreciate your patience during this transition. If you need assistance, please feel free to contact the City of Cullman Sanitation Department.