𝗠𝗘𝗦𝗦𝗔𝗚𝗘 𝗙𝗥𝗢𝗠 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗕𝗨𝗜𝗟𝗗𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗗𝗘𝗣𝗔𝗥𝗧𝗠𝗘𝗡𝗧: Due to the construction going on around our building in relation to the Second Avenue NE Streetscape Project, we would like to encourage you to 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗗𝗨𝗖𝗧 𝗕𝗨𝗦𝗜𝗡𝗘𝗦𝗦 𝗢𝗡𝗟𝗜𝗡𝗘 if possible. On our website you can view and apply for building permits, apply for sign permits, submit plan review applications, and more. See below to find out more or to conduct business online. You can also EMAIL US with questions! 𝗜𝗳 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗱𝗼 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗲 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗼𝗳𝗳𝗶𝗰𝗲, 𝗽𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝗖𝗔𝗟𝗟 𝟮𝟱𝟲-𝟳𝟳𝟱-𝟳𝟮𝟬𝟯 𝗕𝗘𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗘 𝗬𝗢𝗨 𝗩𝗜𝗦𝗜𝗧 so we can arrange to let you in our back entrance. Thank you for your cooperation and your patience! (POSTED 4-26-2023)
7:30AM – 3:30PM
P.O. Box 278
Cullman, AL 35056-0278
Chief Building Official
(256) 775-7214 | EMAIL
(256) 775-7218 | EMAIL
(256) 775-7205 | EMAIL
(256) 775-7204 | EMAIL
(256) 775-7215 | EMAIL
(256) 775-7203 | EMAIL
(256) 775-7213 | EMAIL
The Building Inspection Department ensures the safety of the public through the enforcement of construction codes. The department issues and tracks all permits for building, plumbing, HVAC, electrical work, and signage to be performed within the City of Cullman. Inspections are performed on all construction within the City of Cullman to determine compliance with applicable codes.
The department also serves as the contact for all planning and zoning matters (including plans review, setbacks, property lines, easements, annexations, and so forth) and assists with the enforcement of the City’s nuisance ordinance.
BUILDING CODE EDITIONS
Effective January 1, 2023, the City of Cullman has adopted the 2021 International Building Code. The following companion codes shall be included:
- International Building Code, 2021 edition
- International Existing Building Code, 2021 edition
- International Residential Building Code, 2021 edition
- International Plumbing Code, 2021 edition
- International Mechanical Code, 2021 edition
- International Fuel Gas Code, 2021 edition
- International Fire Code, 2021 edition
- International Energy Conservation Code, 2021 edition
- International Property Maintenance Code, 2021 edition
- National Electrical Code (NFPA 70), 2020 edition
- ICC/NSSA Standard for the Design and Construction of Storm Shelters, ICC 500 – 2020 edition
- ANSI/ASHRAE/IES Standard 90.1 – 2019 Energy Standard for Buildings except Low-Rise Residential
- ADA Standards for Accessible Design, 2010 edition
- NFPA 101 Life Safety Code, 2021 edition
The transition from the current International Building Code to the revised International Building Code will begin January 1, 2023, and will include a six-month grace period to allow current projects to either complete the review process or to transition to the new code. After the six-month grace period is completed, all submittals must comply with the revised International Building Code. The transition to the revised International Building Code will be implemented as follows:
- All submittals received before January 1, 2023, must comply with the 2015 International Building Code.
- All first-time submittals received on or after January 1, 2023, must comply with the 2021 International Building Code.
- All submittals received from January 1, 2023 through July 30, 2023, where the first-time submittal was received before January 1, 2023, may be completed under the 2015 International Building Code or may be revised to comply with the 2021 International Building Code.
- Any Submittals received on or after July 30, 2023, must comply with the 2021 International Building Code
201 2ND AVENUE NE
CULLMAN, AL 35055