The City of Cullman is accepting applications for lateral transfer Firefighter. Employees in this class are responsible for protection of life and property through firefighting, rescue, hazardous materials and emergency medical activities usually performed under close supervision. Work requires performance of hazardous tasks under emergency conditions involving strenuous exertion under such obstacles as smoke and cramped surroundings. Firefighters generally work 24-hour shifts including weekends and holidays, but can also be required to work irregular shifts and hours to best meet the needs of the fire department. A large part of time is spent in supervised training, fire prevention, pre-incident inspections, maintenance of equipment and apparatus, and maintenance of quarters. Work is normally performed under close supervision in accordance with well-defined procedures and assignments are received from departmental superiors in fire suppression, rescue, hazardous materials responses, emergency medical situations, and at stations. Employees are required to attend mandatory training and safety classes.
Requirements to apply for the position of lateral transfer Firefighter are as follows:
- 18 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Valid Alabama driver’s license.
- Alabama Firefighter I/II certification and EMT Basic or higher Alabama state license.
- Upon recommendation by the Fire Chief, applicants must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol screening, pass an NFPA 1582 physical exam, and submit an employment background screening.
- State of Alabama Hazardous Materials/WMD - Technician must be completed within 12 months of hire date.
Firefighter benefits include, but are not limited to:
Individual Health and Dental Insurance:
- Employee = City Paid
- Family Insurance = $328 per month.
City Provides Cancer Policy and individual Life Insurance:
- Individual Life Insurance = City Paid
$25,000 Employee; $50,000 if Accidental Death
- Dependent Life Insurance = City Paid
$10,000 per dependent
Family Membership to AirMedCare Network = City Paid
Individual Membership to Cullman Wellness & Aquatic Center = City Paid
9 - 24 hour Kelly days
10 - 24 hour paid holidays
Annual physical fitness benefit ($500)
Uniform allowance ($450)
All City of Cullman employees receive RSA Tier I retirement benefits.
- Associates degree or Honorable Military service 5%
- Bachelor’s degree 10%
Advanced Medical License:
- Advanced EMT-$2000 annually
- Paramedic-$5000 annually
Accrual of vacation and sick time based on years of employment.
Starting annual pay ranges:
- $44,974.50 to $57,411.31 Annually (dependent on years of experience, education incentives, and EMS license level)
Employees will serve a probationary period of one (1) year.
Engineer Promotional Opportunity after 2 years of Certified Fire Service (non-competitive benchmark testing - 5% pay increase).
THE CITY OF CULLMAN IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this position, fill out the online application at the bottom of the job description.
Contact the City of Cullman Human Resources Department with questions.