THE CITY OF CULLMAN IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR 9-1-1 EMERGENCY DISPATCHERS. Apply online here, download an employment application, email us to request an employment application be emailed to you, or pick up an application in the City Hall foyer or back hallway (HR offices are currently closed).
This is skilled work in receiving and transmitting radio and telephone messages.
Scope of Work: Employees in this class are responsible on an assigned shift for receiving varied calls for police, fire and emergency services by radio or telephone, for transmitting calls to the proper party and for dispatching proper equipment and personnel as directed. Employees work under general supervision on routine phases of the work but receive specific instructions and assistance on difficult or unusual problems. Employees operate a two-way radio, computer, and related equipment in receiving and transmitting calls.
- Receives emergency calls by telephone or radio; receives all 9-1-1 emergency calls; radios police car in area of occurrence, giving location and description of situation; dispatches police, fire, city service cars and trucks and any other emergency equipment as required.
- Maintains file of tag numbers of stolen cars; obtains and disseminates information on the registration of motor vehicles by license number furnished.
- Maintains computer files of police related records.
- Maintains outstanding warrant file.
Education: Any combination of training and experience equivalent to graduation from a standard senior high school.
Experience: PREVIOUS 9-1-1- DISPATCH EXPERIENCE PREFERRED.
Knowledge and Skills: Considerable knowledge of the geography of the city, location of streets and important buildings, and the location of police personnel and equipment. Good diction, clear voice, and skill in operating telephone and radio equipment along with receiving and transmitting calls. Proficient skill in the operation of a keyboard. Ability to think clearly and act quickly in emergency situations. Ability to understand and follow moderately complex oral and written instructions. Ability to keep simple clerical records. Basic skills in operation of computer.
- Must be physically able to perform duties for extended periods of time, if required.
- Must be physically able to sit for extended periods of time, as required.
- Must be able to pass 80-hour APCO certification.
- Must qualify for E-9-1-1 Board certification.
- Position subject to random drug testing.
- Medical and Dental Insurance for Employees (City pays full cost of employee’s coverage, and a portion of dependent coverage)
- AirMedCare Network (free membership for all full-time employees)
- Cullman Wellness & Aquatic Center (free membership for all full-time employees)
- RSA (Retirement Systems of Alabama) Retirement Benefits
- Paid Life Insurance Coverage (City pays entire cost.)
- Education Incentives
- 5% of Salary Education Benefit for Associates Degree for Classified Employees (even for unrelated field)
- 5% of Salary Education Benefit for Employees with an Honorable Discharge from the Military
- 10% of Salary Education Benefit for Bachelors Degree or Higher for Classified Employees (even for unrelated field)
- Earned Vacation Leave (Employees may carry over vacation to the following year up to a maximum of 240 hours):
- 1-5 Years of Continuous Service: Earn 6.66 hours per month
- 5-10 Years of Continuous Service: Earn 8.66 hours per month
- 10-15 Years of Continuous Service: Earn 12 hours per month
- 15+ Years of Continuous Service: Earn 13.33 hours per month
- Earned Sick Leave: 4 hours per pay period, up to 960 hours. (Employees on 24 hour shifts: 6 hours per pay period up to 1272 hours.)
- Vacation/Sick Leave Donation Bank
- Paid Time Off for Jury Duty
- Paid Holidays
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Friday After Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
- Workers Compensation Insurance
- Unemployment Insurance
- Uniforms and Uniform Maintenance for Employees Required to Wear Uniforms
- Direct Deposit of Earnings
- Payroll Deductions for Employee’s Convenience:
- FOP Dues
- Alabama Peace Officers Annuity
- Firefighter Association Dues for Fire Rescue
- Supplemental Insurance Policies
- FICA Benefits