We are not actively seeking applications for this position at this time. However, applications received will be kept on file in the event of future openings. If you have not been contacted within twelve (12) months of the date you submitted your application, you will need to submit an updated application at that time.
This is routine typing and clerical work that follows well-established procedures. This position does not normally involve supervising other employees. The specific requirements for an employee in this classification will vary between departments.
Scope of Work: Employees in this class are responsible for routine typing from drafts, rough notes or dictating machines and for the performance of other clerical assignments. Detailed instructions are given at the beginning of work and on subsequent new assignments; however, after employees become familiar with particular procedures they may work with some independence on more routine aspects of the work. Work with various filing systems, including computer based systems, is required. Facilitate the flow of information from the supervisor and other employees in the division. The specific requirements of each division will determine what tasks require the greater emphasis. This class also includes employees whose major duties involve answering a telephone switchboard, routing calls and giving information.
- Waits on public, as may be required.
- Types letters, envelopes, requisitions, and memos.
- Operates a variety of standard office machines incidental to clerical assignment.
- Computes fees, bills, fines, or taxes, using simple arithmetic calculations as necessary. May collect payments if required by the division.
- Acts as receptionist for the division, as needed.
- Gives out routine information, not requiring interpretation of regulations and policies; sorts and files materials; does general clerical work.
- Does related work or other duties, as required by the work section and determined by the supervisor.
- Sorts, distributes, and files incoming mail, as required.
- Conducts and maintains inventory listings for the office of assignment.
- Prepares reports, including but not limited to, payroll forms, bills, or billing requests, as may be required by the division. Maintains files associated with these reports.
- Acts as receptionist, answering phones and receiving visitors to the work section.
Education: Any combination of training and experience equivalent to graduation from a standard high school, including or supplemented by a course in typing.
Experience: Satisfactory work history in an administrative support capacity.
Knowledge and Skills: Good knowledge of business English and arithmetic. Some knowledge of office practices and procedures. Skill in operation of common office machines, including computers and associated software packages. Skill in operation of a typewriter. Ability to make simple computations and tabulations with accuracy. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions. Ability to learn assigned tasks readily. Ability to write legibly. Ability to deal tactfully with the public.
- Maintain a valid Alabama driver’s license to drive CC vehicles.
- Position subject to random drug testing.
- Medical and Dental Insurance for Employees (City pays full cost of employee’s coverage, and a portion of dependent coverage)
- AirMedCare Network (free membership for all full-time employees)
- Cullman Wellness & Aquatic Center (free membership for all full-time employees)
- RSA (Retirement Systems of Alabama) Retirement Benefits
- Paid Life Insurance Coverage (City pays entire cost.)
- Education Incentives
- 5% of Salary Education Benefit for Associates Degree for Classified Employees (even for unrelated field)
- 5% of Salary Education Benefit for Employees with an Honorable Discharge from the Military
- 10% of Salary Education Benefit for Bachelors Degree or Higher for Classified Employees (even for unrelated field)
- Earned Vacation Leave (Employees may carry over vacation to the following year up to a maximum of 240 hours):
- 1-5 Years of Continuous Service: Earn 6.66 hours per month
- 5-10 Years of Continuous Service: Earn 8.66 hours per month
- 10-15 Years of Continuous Service: Earn 12 hours per month
- 15+ Years of Continuous Service: Earn 13.33 hours per month
- Earned Sick Leave: 4 hours per pay period, up to 960 hours. (Employees on 24 hour shifts: 6 hours per pay period up to 1272 hours.)
- Vacation/Sick Leave Donation Bank
- Paid Time Off for Jury Duty
- Paid Holidays
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Friday After Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
- Workers Compensation Insurance
- Unemployment Insurance
- Uniforms and Uniform Maintenance for Employees Required to Wear Uniforms
- Direct Deposit of Earnings
- Payroll Deductions for Employee’s Convenience:
- FOP Dues
- Alabama Peace Officers Annuity
- Firefighter Association Dues for Fire Rescue
- Supplemental Insurance Policies
- FICA Benefits