PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE ARE CURRENTLY NO OPENINGS FOR THIS POSITION. Your application will be kept on file for twelve (12) months for consideration should testing for this position be scheduled. If no position becomes available or if you have not been contacted for testing within twelve (12) months of the date you submitted your application, you will need to submit an updated application at that time.
This is routine bookkeeping and office work in the maintenance or review of fiscal records.
Scope of Work: To ensure accurate accounting records for receipts and/or disbursements within the City. This is a responsible nonsupervisory position. Duties include performing a variety of complex clerical and entry-level bookkeeping and accounting tasks, applying accepted procedures to the preparation and maintenance of accounting and other records, and preparing financial, statistical, and/or technical reports. Employees in this category are responsible for coding source documents and entering into computer. Detailed instructions are given at the beginning of work and on subsequent new assignments.
- Coding source documents.
- Prepares and posts accounting documents by computer, such as fees, receipts, invoices, requisitions, vouchers, expense accounts, and related operating
- Verifies math on source
- Receives and counts cash; maintains cash book or other control
- Assists in balancing accounts by running tapes, proofreading, ; prepares summary of balances, cost information, or other reports as requested for supervisor’s use in preparing financial statements.
- Operates calculator, CRT, and other office
- Proofreads and posts operations progress or other reports and makes a monthly summary or recaps of such reports as
- Maintains file system for accounting records and associated
Education: High school graduation or its equivalent, including courses in bookkeeping.
Experience: At least one (1) years’ experience in bookkeeping, accounting, or secretarial assignments involving advanced recordkeeping (directly related business school or college courses may be substituted equally for up to six (6) months’ experience); or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Must be bondable.
Knowledge and Skills: Working knowledge of bookkeeping theories and practices and accepted office procedures. Ability to perform a volume of numerical detail work with speed and accuracy, to make difficult mathematical computations with and without mechanical assistance (ability to operate a calculator by touch). Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and technical terminology. Ability to prepare financial and other records in a systematic, neat, legible manner. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, a variety of governmental employees and officials, and the general public. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications, including Excel and Outlook.
- Maintain a valid Alabama driver’s license to drive CC vehicles.
- Position subject to random drug testing.
- Medical and Dental Insurance for Employees (City pays full cost of employee’s coverage, and a portion of dependent coverage)
- AirMedCare Network (free membership for all full-time employees)
- Cullman Wellness & Aquatic Center (free membership for all full-time employees)
- RSA (Retirement Systems of Alabama) Retirement Benefits
- Paid Life Insurance Coverage (City pays entire cost.)
- Education Incentives
- 5% of Salary Education Benefit for Associates Degree for Classified Employees (even for unrelated field)
- 5% of Salary Education Benefit for Employees with an Honorable Discharge from the Military
- 10% of Salary Education Benefit for Bachelors Degree or Higher for Classified Employees (even for unrelated field)
- Earned Vacation Leave (Employees may carry over vacation to the following year up to a maximum of 240 hours):
- 1-5 Years of Continuous Service: Earn 6.66 hours per month
- 5-10 Years of Continuous Service: Earn 8.66 hours per month
- 10-15 Years of Continuous Service: Earn 12 hours per month
- 15+ Years of Continuous Service: Earn 13.33 hours per month
- Earned Sick Leave: 4 hours per pay period, up to 960 hours. (Employees on 24 hour shifts: 6 hours per pay period up to 1272 hours.)
- Vacation/Sick Leave Donation Bank
- Paid Time Off for Jury Duty
- Paid Holidays
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Friday After Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
- Workers Compensation Insurance
- Unemployment Insurance
- Uniforms and Uniform Maintenance for Employees Required to Wear Uniforms
- Direct Deposit of Earnings
- Payroll Deductions for Employee’s Convenience:
- FOP Dues
- Alabama Peace Officers Annuity
- Firefighter Association Dues for Fire Rescue
- Supplemental Insurance Policies
- FICA Benefits