Office of the City Engineer
The City Engineer is responsible for assisting in planning and coordinating the engineering activities of the City of Cullman. This includes engineering design and construction activities on various types of public infrastructure projects and other construction projects. The City Engineer also assists with project budget and contract management.
Some specific duties the City Planner performs are:
- Assisting in planning and coordinating the design and construction of all public works projects including streets, traffic signal design, sidewalks, sewer systems, bridges, parks and drainage structures, etc.
- Assisting in planning and coordinating the city’s Capital Improvement Plan programs.
- Assisting with providing construction management for city contractors.
- Assisting in projections for the annual operating and capital improvement budget.
- Assisting in planning, design, and operation of the waste collection, treatment, and disposal system.
- Preparing regular and special reports relative to the design, construction, and funding of public works projects and programs to ensure compliance and fiscal responsibility.
- Assisting the Planning Commission in review of proposed site plans.
- Producing traffic signal design plans, cost estimates, bidding, and construction supervision for city-funded traffic signal projects; providing technical support for the city traffic department; conducting traffic studies and reviews of city intersections and roadways, as directed.
- Inspecting infrastructure to maintain compliance with federal and state requirements; communicating and coordinating with railroad companies, as necessary, regarding new and existing crossing maintenance and upgrades; regularly communicating with ALDOT with regard to planned improvements, funding sources, design requirements, and other matters of concern to the City of Cullman.
- Assisting with traffic control plans for new projects, special events, and emergency routes.
- Conferring on proposed and current public works projects and improvements; participating in project design review with staff, consultants, contractors, utility companies, government regulatory agencies, and other city departments to ensure compliance with scope, budget, and schedule.
- Conferring with various administrative officials on needed, proposed, upcoming, and in-progress public works projects and programs; assisting in coordinating the funding of various public works programs involving federal, state, and local expenditures.
- Reviewing and responding to complaints regarding deficiencies or problems with city infrastructure.
- Conducting on-site reviews of public works construction projects to review progress, resolve conflicts, and ensure compliance with plans and specifications.
- Approving and providing direction for the lighting of residential and major streets.
- Supervising and participating in special studies and projects.
- Assisting in developing and enforcing municipal construction standards.